What are Featured Snippets or Position Zero rank?
A featured snippet (Position Zero) aims to directly answer searchers’ questions, without needing to click the search result link.
It is the first Google search result that appears above organic SEO listings.
In this post, I’ll explain the step-by-step SEO hack for Featured Snippets on Google.
Position Zero is also known as:
- Rank Zero
- Featured Snippet
This is specifically relevant when a user asks for a specific question and Google shows searchers with a direct answer to the query, with a step-by-step list of how to your question.
Why featured snippets?
Google’s search algorithm is evolving continually to provide searchers with quick, valuable answers to their search queries.
In an attempt to directly answer search questions, Google launched the Knowledge Graph, originally based completely on human-curated information from databases like Freebase and Wikidata.
Why Featured Snippets or position zero useful?
When you get to the top of results for your keywords relevant to your business, you earn more clicks, leads, and ultimately revenue for your business.
1. Featured snippets help you occupy more real estate on Google Search results.
2. Featured snippets improve your click-through rate (CTR).
3. Featured snippets results are the main factors for voice search.
How to get Featured Snippets on Google?
How to get position zero rank on Google?
Featured snippets typically include the following formats:
- Numbered and bulleted lists
There are seven ways to get featured snippets on Google.
1. 5W answers (who, what, when, where, why)
Make sure your content has questions similar to how we ask questions in real life.
- What is growth hacking?
- How can startups hack growth?
- What are the best growth hacks for SaaS products?
2. How-to content types.
Your blog posts should have guides that will show how to get something done to users.
- How to drive a million users for a new product?
- A step-by-step guide.How to set up analytics to track users?
Simple definitions that will easily explain concepts to users.
- What is product-led growth?
- What is customer journey mapping?
- What is the difference between growth hacking and growth marketing?
- Comparison between customer needs and customer wants in product marketing
5. Price / cost information
- Cost of analytics tools to track customer behavior
- What is the cost of CRM tools for SaaS products?
6. Top lists / best lists content
- Top growth hackers in India
- List of best growth hacks for an e-commerce store
7. Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Now that you know what helps in getting a featured snippet on Google, here’s how you can craft your content strategy for your blog. Below is an example of our client blog with a Featured Snippet.
SEO Hack for Featured Snippets on Google
Step 1: Definitely have a FAQ section for your business.
- Make sure to answer all the questions that users generally ask you in person or other forms of communication.
- You can also explore Quora to check the questions asked by your target audience.
- Have answers in simple and short sentences.
Step 2: Create listicles
Listicles are basically blog posts that are formatted in the form of a list. This is by far the easiest form of blog posts that can be created and published and delivers high ROI for your content marketing strategy.
Example: Top 10 growth hacks for all voice products in 2020
Step 3: Compare your products to your competitors’ products in a blog post
This is fairly easy if you track Google Search Console and explore how users are discovering your product / website. It can help you directly answer your customer’s queries by talking about this in a blog post.
Make sure you list all the pro’s and con’s of your product and your competitors’ products from an unbiased perspective.
Step 4: Get definitions simplified from your experience.
All your blog posts where you discuss a certain concept must have a one-line description of the definition. This is not what you copy-paste from Wikipedia but a much more simplified version of the concept.
A quick thumb rule is to make it easy for a 12-year-old as well as a 60-year-old from your family / friends.
Step 5: How-to’s blog posts
If your product needs some education, like how to get something done, this is a great topic to produce 5 to 10 high-quality posts to accomplish a task.
Be sure to have include definitions, cost or pricing information, 5WH as headings, add bullet points etc.
P.S. If you observe, I have followed most of the instructions on this blog post itself. So you know how your blog post will look when you implement the SEO hack for featured snippets.